How to take Michigan driver ed
Process for students under 18 in Michigan
The state has a new system for students under 18 called the C.A.R.S. system. Click the link below to learn more about the new steps for obtaining a driver’s license under 18.
Access your Michigan All Star account here using your username, which is most often the email provided at sign up. Activation emails are sent out when an account is created. Your username will not be recognized if the account isn’t activated. Call (734) 665 – 7374 for assistance with activating.
Register for Segment 1, Segment 2, road tests, and more!
View availability on our website by searching your zip code here: Book a class or road test in MI!
- Six drives and an in-person test day are required in addition to 12 class sessions.
- Students can only miss up to three classes, though it’s recommended that they don’t miss any because they won’t be able to make it up until the next month’s session.
- If a student misses more than three Segment 1 classes they will be required by state law to retake the course.
- Students must sign-up and finish their drives in 6 weeks from the first day of class.
- Segment 2 consists of 6 hours, spread over three days, of class time.
- Segment 2 students can’t miss any classes or any part of any classes.
Our virtual classes are teacher-led Zoom classes, however, drives and testing must be done in-person. Register your student at a location you are comfortable driving to. Zoom links are sent out the weekend prior to the class start date.
We also offer in-person classes, so make sure that when you’re signing up you know which option you’re signing up for.
Please note if you are more than 10 minutes late to your appointment, you may have to reschedule which will mean paying again.
- Ann Arbor
- 211 N. Maple, Ann Arbor, MI, 48103.
- Cones with flags in the parking lot between Level 1 Bank and Green Paws Pet Supply.
- St. Joseph/Benton Harbor
- 1100 Yore Ave Parking Lot 3 (backside of Mendel Center), Lake Michigan College, Benton Harbor, MI, 49022.
- Mendel Center is one mile east of I-94 off of Napier Ave. From Napier, head north on Yore Ave. Turn into Parking Lot 3 on the left and go all the way to the back of the lot where you will see orange cones and a road testing sign.
- You MUST bring a hard copy of:
- Vehicle registration
- Vehicle insurance
- Segment 2 completion certificate and 50-hour drive log with 10 hours at night (if applicable)
- Checklist for using your own vehicle (the following must ALL be in working condition or the student risks being turned away without a refund):
- Brake lights (including center-mounted light)
- Doors (all must be able to open)
- Fuel level
- Rearview and outside left mirror
- Seats and safety belts for all occupants
- Turn signals (both front and rear)
- Tires (properly inflated and not damaged)
- Suspension components
- Windshield (examiners may refuse to administer a road test if the vehicle’s windshield is cracked so that it obstructs the driver’s view)
- Windshield wipers and washers
- Lug nuts (only one may be missing per vehicle)
Michigan certificates are now emailed!
State law allows us 10 business days to get certificates sent out from the time of course completion, however, at All Star we have set ourselves the goal of five business days from all documents being uploaded and all course requirements being met.